Skip to main content

Sitting at Starbucks Between Two Men Looking for Jobs

Today I ordered my coffee at the Starbucks at 78th and Lexington on my lunch hour from training a new seasonal package helper. It's expensive on the Upper East Side, so each day I'm bringing my lunch, which I eat along with a coffee at Starbucks while I sit and look out the window at the people passing by. Today no seats were available in the store when I ordered—which I'm finding is quite common in Manhattan--but as I walked toward the rear of the store not knowing what to do, a woman with a baby in a stroller got up and left. We made eye contact and smiled, a mutual understanding of my good fortune of being at the right place at the right time. I went right over and took the seat, a nice leather bench against the wall. A job interview was in progress on my right—a twenty-something professional Jamaican man was being interviewed by a twenty-something American woman. He looks like a young Forest Whitaker, whom I had recently seen in the movie The Last King of Scotland. I think he did well in the interview, but he has one huge problem that she may not notice—his socks are hideous! He is wearing a nice, dark pinstripe suit, but his socks have alternating thick dark blue and gray bands around them with a large red band around the top of the sock. If the interviewer sees that, he's toast! Of course, she's wearing UGGs with tan leg warmers and a non-matching skirt, so she may not care. Besides, it looks like his legs are bent at an angle that will prevent her from seeing the socks. He's pretty slick the way he's doing that, I think to myself, and go back to eating my peanut butter and jelly sandwich, trying to pretend I'm not noticing what is happening next to me. But how can you not listen in on a job interview that is going on right out in the open? Of course, she'll probably hire him, and then he'll show up with his crazy socks on and everyone will wonder, “Who hired this guy?”

On the other side of me a man is typing on a laptop occasionally interspersed with long periods of just sitting and looking around. I can see he is updating his resume. This means I am sitting between two men looking for jobs, so I feel fortunate. But even the moment of gratitude doesn't change the fact that my borrowed brown UPS uniform is a size 36 waist when I'm a 32 and my uniform jacket is large enough to be a tent that sleeps four. I look ridiculous. I know what they are doing. Let's give the IT worker with the cushy job a humongous uniform and see how he makes out! One of the supervisors at the UPS Center laughs every time he sees me in it and is working on a good Native American name for me such as “Chief Big Coat” or a made-up name that means “he of big coat.” This might be a long assignment.

Finally lunch hour ends, so I get up, pull up my pants to my chest, zip up my jacket, and head back for the package car to start delivering packages again on the Upper East Side. Oh yes, while I was on lunch I also wrote this little ditty:

I deliver packages
On the Upper East Side
Designer purses
None made from Naugahyde
I smile at all of the doormen
Yet at the end of the day
My body aches
My mind feels dismay
I'm the UPS man
Wearing UPS brown
Sometimes this gig
Can get a man down
I'm a Teamster in a truck
A blue-collar guy
Delivering the stuff
I could never buy
On the Upper East Side.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook

I Heard the Voice of Robert Plant Say, “Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down”

The other day, as I prepared for my 30-minute commute to my office, I let Spotify pick a playlist for me and off I went to work. You may remember in recent years, I commuted in an older car , a 2002 Mercury Sable with a few quirks that made life interesting. But now I have a 2016 Honda Accord with Bluetooth. It starts all of the time, doesn’t break down and require towing, and this means I have to look for other forms of excitement while commuting. This newer car also meant my music went from cassettes/CDs to Spotify Bluetooth in a remarkably short time, so I’m sticking my hand deep into the musical candy jar each day with Spotify (yes, I heard about it from my children). On this chilly April morning, a few songs into my Daily Mix 1 playlist, Robert Plant , the former lead singer of Led Zeppelin , came on singing the lyric, “Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . I heard the voice of Jesus say, Satan, your kingdom must come down.” I had list