Skip to main content

Grand Entrances on the Upper East Side

Today I'm eating lunch out again since Marcia gave me $25 yesterday and told me to start doing it. It's hard to bring your lunch when the temperature is only in the 20s and your lunch sits in a vehicle all morning, leaving it nice and chilled by the time you eat it. So today I get to splurge on Manhattan's Upper East Side. Yesterday I ate at a Subway. Today I am at the Elim Cafe located on Lexington Avenue between 64th and 65th streets. The temperature has been freezing cold this week, and the problem with both restaurants is that each has small seating areas near the front door. On both days, I've been getting blasted with arctic air each time someone comes in or leaves. This is made worse by the way New Yorkers come in and out of a restaurant, acting as if they are all somebody. (I know, some of them are.) You can see this in the way they fling the doors wide open and strut in, as if every one of them is Brad Pitt or Angeline Jolie. It would be nice if people would just barely open the door and slip out quietly. The trash guy just walked out as if he were Elvis. . . “Ladies and gentleman, Elvis has left the building” . . . The wind caught and extended the door as far as it opens and held it there, letting a gale force icy blast of air rush in right at me. My whole body shivered and shook involuntarily until the air warmed up again. Because it is so cold even in the restaurant, I zipped my uniform jacket all the way up to my ears trying to stay warm. I'm even wearing my stocking cap inside, especially since my hair gets so matted down from wearing the stocking cap that I can't not wear it. I look ridiculous without it.

I walked into the restaurant intending to order Udon noodles with beef. I decided this from a piece of paper taped in the window with a nice bold font listing the various Udon-noodle options. Plus, I like to say, “Udon noodle.” When I got in the restaurant though, to the left was a deli-style counter with a big menu above the entire area with no mention of Udon noodles. To the right was a buffet-style line with a sign that said, $6.99/lb with no sign of Udon noodles. The deli counter with the massive menu and the buffet did not seem to be the same genres of food selection, and seemed to be an Italian American-Asian hybrid restaurant. All of the choices confused me. A Liberace-like entrance just occurred, and when the doors flung open the wind chilled me to the bone. I decided to play it safe and order something on the menu, right above the deli-counter guy's head . . . a Southwest wrap. I then went to the restroom since I've learned that in Manhattan a person should always go to a public restroom when one is seen, and when I return to the counter my wrap is ready. I pay, get my self-service coffee, and take the best open seat, which happens to be in a perfect geometric angle to the front door. Each time the door opens, I feel like I am at the end of a wind tunnel and the Polar Express is coming right at me. After about thirty minutes of eating the hefty wrap and being pummeled by a relentless barrage of cold air blasts, I get a call to meet the driver at 62nd and Park. I strut to the door myself, hearing the thumping bass line of the Bee Gees' Stayin' Alive in my head, and fling the door open to leave, New York style. A blast of air blows by me, seeking someone else this time.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook

I Heard the Voice of Robert Plant Say, “Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down”

The other day, as I prepared for my 30-minute commute to my office, I let Spotify pick a playlist for me and off I went to work. You may remember in recent years, I commuted in an older car , a 2002 Mercury Sable with a few quirks that made life interesting. But now I have a 2016 Honda Accord with Bluetooth. It starts all of the time, doesn’t break down and require towing, and this means I have to look for other forms of excitement while commuting. This newer car also meant my music went from cassettes/CDs to Spotify Bluetooth in a remarkably short time, so I’m sticking my hand deep into the musical candy jar each day with Spotify (yes, I heard about it from my children). On this chilly April morning, a few songs into my Daily Mix 1 playlist, Robert Plant , the former lead singer of Led Zeppelin , came on singing the lyric, “Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . I heard the voice of Jesus say, Satan, your kingdom must come down.” I had list