Skip to main content

Two People Journaling on Paper in a Wi-Fi World

On Wednesday, I sat down next to a woman in the Starbucks at 78th and Lexington facing the window looking out. The Manhattan Starbucks are all so crowded that you have to sit next to someone. I took the one seat that was left at the window, grateful to get a seat because earlier in the week I had spent one lunch period squatting down leaning against a wall in another Starbucks, waiting for a seat while my feet fell asleep and tingled like crazy. The woman was feverishly journaling in a notebook, exactly the thing I had also intended to do during my lunch hour there too. I journal on a black steno pad that I carry around with me most of the time. I was wearing UPS browns, taking a break from training a new helper on how to deliver packages. Since it is New York, no one seemed to think it strange that a UPS guy was journaling on his steno pad. I can't remember ever seeing a man journaling anywhere, let alone a man wearing a UPS uniform as I was. But everyone just pretty much leaves you be in New York, even guys journaling while wearing UPS browns. So there we sat, side by side, two complete strangers journaling on paper with ink pens. In this laptop/notebook wi-fi, iPhone/SmartPhone high-tech age, I'm sure we looked ridiculous writing on paper, probably akin to seeing two people with mullets sitting next to each other. Just two weeks earlier at another Manhattan Starbucks, I had sat next to a woman who did a live video chat with her boyfriend. But there we were, right out in front of everybody, shamelessly journaling on paper.

I thought several times about striking up a conversation with her about her journaling, but I didn't know how to get started. I thought of a few things I might say.
“Aaaahem. Notice what I'm doing here too?” No, that sounds stupid.

“Yeah, I've found journaling sure is a lot cheaper than therapy. How about you?” Maybe she really is in therapy and would be offended.

“Do you type your journal notes into a computer?” I'd really like to know if she has piles of notebooks like I have that she has written in but hasn't had time to type into the computer.

But she was writing so intently and covering most of the words that trailed on the page with her hand that I didn't say a word to her. It seemed as though she was getting a load of emotion out of her system—at least four handwritten pages—and I didn't think I should disturb her. Then she jumped up and was gone in a flash. She didn't even have a latte, frappucino or hot chocolate. Nothing. She just came into Starbucks and started writing for the better part of an hour, and then left.

I journaled too, but sipped on a hot chocolate and looked out of the window in between thoughts. This is about as much multitasking as I can manage to do.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook

I Heard the Voice of Robert Plant Say, “Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down”

The other day, as I prepared for my 30-minute commute to my office, I let Spotify pick a playlist for me and off I went to work. You may remember in recent years, I commuted in an older car , a 2002 Mercury Sable with a few quirks that made life interesting. But now I have a 2016 Honda Accord with Bluetooth. It starts all of the time, doesn’t break down and require towing, and this means I have to look for other forms of excitement while commuting. This newer car also meant my music went from cassettes/CDs to Spotify Bluetooth in a remarkably short time, so I’m sticking my hand deep into the musical candy jar each day with Spotify (yes, I heard about it from my children). On this chilly April morning, a few songs into my Daily Mix 1 playlist, Robert Plant , the former lead singer of Led Zeppelin , came on singing the lyric, “Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . I heard the voice of Jesus say, Satan, your kingdom must come down.” I had list