Skip to main content

What Are You Counting?

I had always wondered why God so harshly judged David after he took the census of Israel to count the fighting men. I think I understand it better now after I started counting things too—like chin-ups.

A few years ago, I moved to a new job in my company, so I tried out a new gym down the street. It was a little pricey, though, even though you did get mouthwash in the locker room. So during my lunch hours, I tried going back to a Bally’s gym where I was already a member, but it was a little too far away and you can only take so many two-hour lunches before someone notices. So I started driving to a local park and doing what I had done with some guys in my department when we worked together before my move—lunchtime chin-ups at a playground. During that time, one co-worker taught me “steps” with chin-ups. Start with one chin up, and then stop. Then do two. Then three, four, five and so on until you cannot complete the number. Then you do “steps” back down from that number until you return to one. It did not take more than about 45 minutes and after a few months, we started doing over 100 chin-ups sometimes. Of course, we were too tired to do any work when got back to the office, but they were getting rid of our department anyway.

Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel. So David said to Joab and the commanders of the troops, "Go and count the Israelites from Beersheba to Dan. Then report back to me so that I may know how many there are" (1 Chronicles 21:1).
Before long, I started feeling what David must have felt and Satan must have noticed and whispered in my ear, too: “Why don’t you start writing down how many chin-ups you do because it’s really impressive?” So I did.

Beginning the next year, after each work out, I wrote the number of chin-ups I had done in my planner. By the end of March that year, I was well on the way to my goal of 130 chin-ups in one day. I started drinking peanut butter protein shakes, even counting the number of grams of protein I was getting (but not the grams of fat!). Winter was mild that year, so I was rarely prevented from working out. The common thread between King David and me? Pride.

Eventually, I started mentioning in casual conversations how many chin-ups I could do. My counting lead to comparisons, and I started seeing myself as better than others, at least in this one area. Counting helps us compare. We either have more or less than the next person. If I have more, this line of thinking goes, I am a winner, a higher caliber person than they are. And so I started counting something that I could usually win at (instead of, say, how many home repair projects I can do, which would be a very low number).

David’s area of vulnerability was his success as king. He had been a shepherd boy who must have counted the sheep each day to make sure they were all there. What better way now to show your greatness than to count the people in your army?
Joab reported the number of the fighting men to David: In all Israel there were one million one hundred thousand men who could handle a sword, including four hundred and seventy thousand in Judah (1 Chronicles 21:5).
Wow! 1.1 million fighting men. What a mighty king! Whoa, a 100 chin-ups, what a macho middle-aged man! What about you? You are probably tempted to count things, too. The number of people who report to you in your corporate organizational chart. The number of homes you own. The amount of money in your 401(k) or savings account. The amount of weight you have lost. The number of activities your children are involved in. The number of times each week that you read the Bible or pray. What we want to count is where we are vulnerable to pride.

One day in early April that year, my left elbow felt a little sore during a workout, but I did chin-ups anyway so I could write a number down. The next day, the soreness increased so much that I could not work out. I was now trying to do chin-ups on consecutive days, to add a few more to the tally. Obsession? You bet it was. This drive to accumulate more is the dark side of counting things. Even though we know deep down that we should not, we push ourselves to do a little more even at the risk of injury or harm. To advance to the next level in our company even though it means more time at the office. To be at the church four nights a week to be regarded as a good Christian. To buy just one more new designer suit because “clothes make the man.” To buy a bigger TV because, well, we can.

Then David said to God, "I have sinned greatly by doing this. Now, I beg you, take away the guilt of your servant. I have done a very foolish thing" (1 Chronicles 21:9).
During the next two months, I had to stop doing chin-ups. I had no choice; the pain was excruciating. I went to the gym some to do what I could, but I suppose the lesson was clear: at fortysomething, I was still an insecure person who needed to know I was good at something, that I was still “the man,” that I still had it. David needed to know that he still had it too, so he counted his army. What are you counting?

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

The Power of Public Prayers

“Jewish law prefers that Jews pray communally rather than privately.” Joseph Telushkin, “Minyan,” in  Jewish Literacy , 719. I’ve been thinking about this notion for a few days after I read it because I get the impression that most of the Christians I know pray individually and about their own self interests more than anything else. I know this is true of me. But Telushkin, reiterating the teachings of the rabbis in connecting Jewish prayer to the concept of  minyan , where the minimum number of males required to conduct a worship service or say certain prayers is ten, says that public prayer prevents such personal expressions of self-interest. He says:  " . . . the rabbis apparently felt that public prayers are more apt to be offered for that which benefits the entire community, whereas individuals often pray for that which benefits only themselves, even if it be at the expense of someone else" (719). In Evangelical or Pentecostal services that I've attended, at some

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook