Skip to main content

An IHOP Kind of Guy Am I

A few years ago, I realized that I was an IHOP kind of guy. We were eating at IHOP (yes, International House of Pancakes) and it was one of those “aha” moments. I wish it had been a classy Italian restaurant with the white table cloth, the maitre de, the fine glasses. But no, I’m talking IHOP—kids eat free on Fridays IHOP. Lower-middle class IHOP. I relax when I’m there. I don’t feel stuffy, don’t feel like people are going to look at me funny if I forget to put my napkin on my lap or use my salad fork with the main entrĂ©e or my regular fork with the salad. I have no clue when it comes to those things. Just now, I realized I don’t even know what to call the main fork to distinguish it from a salad fork. Is there a different word? I don’t even know. That’s why I belong at IHOP. It doesn’t matter there.

On that night, I ordered fish n’ chips. I know, a guy my age shouldn’t be eating deep-fried food, but I don’t like Greek salads and olives and cucumbers or cold noodles or any of those uppity kinds of foods. I like batter-dipped and buttered. I like deep-fried anything, even chicken livers. When I was young we used to drive 70 miles to Lebanon, Illinois just for the fried chicken livers. I justify eating this way by saying I can still do quite a few chin ups. I’ll probably drop-dead doing chin ups, even though I can do quite a few of them, because of those fried foods. What will they say at my funeral?

Folks, Chris was a nice guy. He could even do twenty chin ups after he was 50 years old. But he loved fish n’ chips and batter-dipped shrimp. Now you’d never think that a plate of batter-dipped shrimp could kill a man, ladies and gentlemen, but it was that journey of a thousand miles that begins with a single step. Or in Chris’s case, that journey of a thousand Shrimp platters that began with a single dip--into the cocktail sauce, that is. Well, actually, he liked ketchup better than cocktail sauce. Extremely talented guy, but you can’t take on fried foods and ketchup stuff like that and expect to win. Let us contemplate on Chris’s life, and beware of deep-fried and batter-dipped things. And here today, his father-in-law, who won’t eat anything green, still lives on past seventy years old. You might look at these two and say, “Is life fair?” or “Is God fair?” Sometimes, life is a mystery. Food is a mystery. The human body is a mystery. . . . And oh yes, folks, that reminds me. Please join us for pie and ice cream in the fellowship hall after the service today. Amen.
Did I mention the fried chicken strip salad is pretty good, too?

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

The Power of Public Prayers

“Jewish law prefers that Jews pray communally rather than privately.” Joseph Telushkin, “Minyan,” in  Jewish Literacy , 719. I’ve been thinking about this notion for a few days after I read it because I get the impression that most of the Christians I know pray individually and about their own self interests more than anything else. I know this is true of me. But Telushkin, reiterating the teachings of the rabbis in connecting Jewish prayer to the concept of  minyan , where the minimum number of males required to conduct a worship service or say certain prayers is ten, says that public prayer prevents such personal expressions of self-interest. He says:  " . . . the rabbis apparently felt that public prayers are more apt to be offered for that which benefits the entire community, whereas individuals often pray for that which benefits only themselves, even if it be at the expense of someone else" (719). In Evangelical or Pentecostal services that I've attended, at some

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook