Skip to main content

Imagine This: American Idol for Preacher's Now Airing on Fox

With the success of American Idol on Fox Television, the network decided to try to reach the more conservative Heartland population with its new “American Idol Preacher's Edition.” The show pits preachers from around the country against each other in a competition for who will be America's next “idol” preacher. Although producers of the new show considered using “experts” in evaluating preaching, they finally decided that anyone could evaluate preaching and decided to stick with their popular trio of judges from their prime time American Idol program: Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul, and Simon Cowell.

In early rounds of the competition, the three judges seemed tentative with their remarks and dismissed some preachers rather arbitrarily. By the time the competition reached the finals, though, they were back to giving their usual insightful, reflective feedback that quality of the preachers’ performances.

Here are a few excerpts of the comments of Jackson, Abdul, and Cowell during a recent competition:

To Buck Eutsler of Hot Springs, AR—Sermon Title: “Reaching Unchurched Bobby Joe and Peggy Sue”

Randy: Man, I thought your sermon was really groovin', man. Let's hear it in the dog pound--ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh--okay, let's cool down pound. You stepped up and showed me how to deliver the goods tonight, Buck. You the man!

Paula: You know, Buck, I just didn't think that sermon was you. Sermon selection is soooo important in this competition, and I don't think that sermon showed your best stuff. I mean, not everyone can do seeker-sensitive like Bill Hybels, but you tried. Don't just copy someone else. Be original!

Simon: Buck, I'm sorry, but I thought your sermon sounded more like something a medieval monk who hasn't bathed or talked to another human being for several years would do.

To Rudy Rockett of Oklahoma City, OK—Sermon Title “Holy Ghost Anointing in the Meeting”

Randy: I don't know, man. I just don't think this sermon was your best effort. I mean, I know you went out on a limb and wore a bow tie, but I'm not sure it was workin' for everybody.

Paula: Rudy, I just love the way you took a risk tonight. Everyone else had three and four point sermons, but you show your individuality and creativity by preaching a one-point sermon. You're a risk taker. That's what I love about you. Preachers aren't known for being risk takers, but you sure are. And the courage it took to wear a bow tie--wonderful! I'm a better person because I heard this sermon.

Simon: Not many people have the range to try a Henny Binn sermon after doing Robert Schuller in the previous round. But I must say that you made it work because you perfected his flamboyant style, allegorization of plain biblical texts, and multiple heretical statements in a single sermon. I think is what "Idol" is all about—showing us your range.

Paula: I think it’s Benny Hinn, not Henny Binn!

Simon: What-ever.

To Bill Robertson of Worcester, Massachusetts—Sermon Title: “The Healing of the Inner Child”

Randy: Man, this was deep! I mean, man, I felt like I finally understand myself now. But something’s still missing, man. Maybe it’s like you’ve got this kind of cold, Northeastern delivery style or something. I don’t know, but it was deep, man.

Paula: Bill, you know I’ve been a huge fan of your sermon outlines and alliterations throughout this competition. But I thought you held back a little too much tonight. We’re in the finals, now. You’ve got to go for it! But I’m still a huge fan. It was okay for me, not great, but okay.

Simon: Well, the others won’t say it, Bill, but I will. I think you are one of the few preachers who know who they are in this competition. You’re an emotionally distant, cold, robe-wearing liberal who has this condescending, “I’m smarter than you because I went to an Ivy League” school persona. Some of the others have tried hell fire and damnation one week, seeker sensitive the next, and then moved on to health and prosperity. But you’re a pure liberal through and through. And you know it! So when Bill comes out, we know we’re getting Bill the Liberal. That’s why you’re going to go far in this competition.

In the next round, rumor has it that the contestants must wear a camel’s hair tunic or slick back their hair with Wild Root Hair Oil before they preach. A Fox spokesperson would not comment on potential themes or costuming of upcoming shows.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook

I Heard the Voice of Robert Plant Say, “Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down”

The other day, as I prepared for my 30-minute commute to my office, I let Spotify pick a playlist for me and off I went to work. You may remember in recent years, I commuted in an older car , a 2002 Mercury Sable with a few quirks that made life interesting. But now I have a 2016 Honda Accord with Bluetooth. It starts all of the time, doesn’t break down and require towing, and this means I have to look for other forms of excitement while commuting. This newer car also meant my music went from cassettes/CDs to Spotify Bluetooth in a remarkably short time, so I’m sticking my hand deep into the musical candy jar each day with Spotify (yes, I heard about it from my children). On this chilly April morning, a few songs into my Daily Mix 1 playlist, Robert Plant , the former lead singer of Led Zeppelin , came on singing the lyric, “Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . I heard the voice of Jesus say, Satan, your kingdom must come down.” I had list