Skip to main content

The Day I Almost Saw Elvis

When I was growing up in Southern Illinois, my grandparents liked to vacation where they could listen to country music. Most Saturday nights, my grandfather had the Grand Ole Opry on the radio--AM 710 on the dial--so I became familiar with names like Roy Acuff, Grandpa Jones, Minnie Pearl, Ernest Tubb, Chet Atkins, Porter Waggoner, Dolly Parton, and Tammy Wynette. This was not the new, Disney-commercial, theme-park fancy, Grand Ole Opry-land. This was hardcore Ryman Auditorium Opry.

But one year, we broke with tradition and went to Florida. I think it was 1976. I had never been to Florida, never more than a state away from Southern Illinois. My grandpa always avoided driving through cities on our trips, preferring to take the bypasses and go around them. He said this would save us time in the long run and avoid the big traffic jams that always occur in a city. So early on, cities were places of great mystery for me that we always avoided. I will never forget what he said about New York more than once:

"Chris, did you know that in Central Park in New York, you have a one-hundred percent chance of getting mugged after dark?"

"No Pa, I didn't know that that. Wow."

I guess that must be why I like to drive over into New York City with my wife and kids now from our home in suburban New Jersey and go to Central Park. We've never stayed after dark though.

When we finally got to the Florida state line that year, my Mom and I rolled down our windows and stuck our arms out to feel the warm Florida air. But there was nothing magic about crossing the line as we had supposed; it was about 32 degrees as the chilly air blasted us, just as it had done throughout the trip when my grandpa cracked the window each time he smoked one of his Camel cigarettes. This was one of those early disappointments in life where you realize that life is not as magical as you thought it was. The entire week we were in Florida, it was cold. It was cold when we drove along Daytona Beach, cold when we visited one of my grandparents’ friends who had retired from Southern Illinois and moved to Lake Okeechobee to become a security guard. (We visited him on duty at the guard shack since we never arranged visits in advance.) Finally, on the last day of our visit, it warmed up to 70 degrees in Fort Myers, so my mom and I sat around the pool at the Howard Johnson motel and I finally got in the icy waters, just to say I went swimming in Florida in March.

We usually stayed at cheap motels on our trips and did not seem to make reservations ahead of time. This made our trips more of an adventure, and the quality of the accommodations was quite uncertain. We stayed at the Albert Pick motel in Nashville and the Purple Heart motel in Memphis on the last day of our vacation, the purple neon sign with a red heart and hourly rates suggesting it was one of those kinds of motels. But to a fifth grader, it was cool that for a quarter, you could get a massage from the vibrating bed. Elvis was still alive, although by 1976, he was feeling the effects of too many fried peanut butter sandwiches and all those prescriptions he was taking that would lead to his death the next year.

We drove to Graceland the next day and parked a few blocks away. We walked over and stood with the small crowd of people who were waiting to see the King, who was apparently at home on this particular day. A guard was on duty at the gate was chatting it up with the onlookers, some of whom were carrying signs expressing their devotion to Elvis, dressed up like him, or carrying his LPs or 45s.

While we waited, a car entered through the gate. Excitement buzzed in the air as people thought they might be about to gaze up on the King of Rock N' Roll in all of his glory. But it wasn't him. Another car left Graceland amid gasps of anticipation, but again no Elvis. Finally, a white limo with tinted windows was spotted coming in from the street toward our gate.

"It's him!" someone shouted.

"Elvis, I love you Elvis!" a woman shrieked.

The car went through the crowd, gasps and shrieks from middle-aged women who covered their mouths and appeared faint. But as the car went through, darkened, tinted windows preventing us from seeing inside. Had we just seen Elvis through the murky windows? Was it Elvis’ physician arriving to give him a checkup and prescribe some more medicine to counter the effects of all that peanut butter? Was it his financial advisor, arriving to discuss his taxes? It was March and April 15 was just a few weeks away. We don't really know, but at least we could all say that we might have seen Elvis at Graceland on that Saturday in March, 1976.

We walked back to our car and drove away. We'd been to Florida and Graceland. We might have even seen the King. I hear that people still gather at Graceland even now hoping to see him. Some even say they did. I'll just say I might have seen him.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook

I Heard the Voice of Robert Plant Say, “Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down”

The other day, as I prepared for my 30-minute commute to my office, I let Spotify pick a playlist for me and off I went to work. You may remember in recent years, I commuted in an older car , a 2002 Mercury Sable with a few quirks that made life interesting. But now I have a 2016 Honda Accord with Bluetooth. It starts all of the time, doesn’t break down and require towing, and this means I have to look for other forms of excitement while commuting. This newer car also meant my music went from cassettes/CDs to Spotify Bluetooth in a remarkably short time, so I’m sticking my hand deep into the musical candy jar each day with Spotify (yes, I heard about it from my children). On this chilly April morning, a few songs into my Daily Mix 1 playlist, Robert Plant , the former lead singer of Led Zeppelin , came on singing the lyric, “Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . I heard the voice of Jesus say, Satan, your kingdom must come down.” I had list