Skip to main content

The End of ER

Thursday, the temperature climbed into the 60s and we felt the warmth of spring, but it turned out to be teasing us because it is raining and cold again today. We managed our first softball practice last night for my daughter Rachel's 7th and 8th grade girls’ team. Then we came home and watched Survivor and the series finale of ER, a show I greatly admire because there seem to be so few good ones anymore. ER lasted 15 years. Saying we watched the finale is mostly true. Marcia and I lasted until the final segment. We fell asleep during the last set of commercials and missed what happened in the final scene, and whatever final message appeared before they launched the credits for the last time. We woke up and it was over forever.

There remains an ever so slight and subtle lack of closure for me because we missed the end. What I saw when I woke up looked like every other week, with credits crawling across the bottom of the television screen as channel 4 news anchor Chuck Scarborough told us what was coming on the 11 o'clock news while the NBC theme chime played in the background. They do that every week. Every single week. So I missed the epic transition from life to death. Now, the morning after, it feels like it will be back again next week, not that I even watch ER much anymore. I saw only a couple of episodes this year. But I have taken comfort in knowing ER is there, that it has been a regular weekly occurrence from the time I was 29 years old, the year after we moved from Missouri to New Jersey. Who moves from Missouri to New Jersey anyway? Well, we did. We left on February 27, 1993 from Springfield, MO in a yellow Ryder truck pulling our white '86 Lynx on a trailer on the same day the World Trade Center was bombed. The Towers survived that attack and we thought they would go on forever, too. But they didn't. Not long after we moved to New Jersey, ER came to life too, and we had this parallel universe kind of thing going on and ER just kept chugging along year after year, just as we did. Now ER is supposedly gone, but I missed the ending. If ER is gone, what does this mean for us?

We never actually watched ER until 2000, but I knew it was there long before that. I watched it consistently for about four years, but it kept getting harder to stay up until eleven and get up at 5:15 a.m. the next day. So I stopped. When I saw it last night, I was reminded of how good it was, the dialogue, the camera work, the real life feel, the late Michael Crichton's medical knowledge infused throughout, and the ethical challenges of life and death.

"This is a good show," I told Marcia, something I rarely say anymore

Most of television today is watching people live fake lives before a camera, something we call "reality television." But it is unreality, un-ER.

Besides ER, I am preemptively grieving a few other things I see heading toward their demise as well. I think we start grieving things before they are gone--what I like to call preemptive grief--because we see the end coming. Have you seen how thin and frail Time magazine has become lately? How many newspapers are hemorrhaging money and cannot go on much longer? How many more mornings I will be able to walk outside at 6:00 a.m. to get the newspaper and feel the cool morning air? How many more times will I be able to hold the newspaper in my hand while I sit in the swing on a spring day in my backyard, reading? I am bracing myself to let go of things these too, fearful I will end up like a character in Fahrenheit 451, staring at a television in a zombie-like trance, kind like all of the people on the treadmills at my gym in the morning. Or staring at a computer screen, or just simply staring into space, the whole world gone virtual on me.

Next week is Good Friday. It just occurred to me that the end of ER must be a little of what it must have felt like for Jesus' followers on Good Friday. Denial. Sadness. Contemplation. I miss ER already, but I will probably have to check back at 10 p.m. next Thursday just to make sure it is gone. I can't believe we missed that ending, leaving me ever so slightly doubtful about next week. If I only could have stayed awake a little longer, I could be sure that ER is not coming back. I guess if ER is not there next Thursday, I could probably find it in syndication somewhere on one of those 157 cable channels. On Easter, though, I will not be looking for ER. I will be looking for someone else.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook

I Heard the Voice of Robert Plant Say, “Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down”

The other day, as I prepared for my 30-minute commute to my office, I let Spotify pick a playlist for me and off I went to work. You may remember in recent years, I commuted in an older car , a 2002 Mercury Sable with a few quirks that made life interesting. But now I have a 2016 Honda Accord with Bluetooth. It starts all of the time, doesn’t break down and require towing, and this means I have to look for other forms of excitement while commuting. This newer car also meant my music went from cassettes/CDs to Spotify Bluetooth in a remarkably short time, so I’m sticking my hand deep into the musical candy jar each day with Spotify (yes, I heard about it from my children). On this chilly April morning, a few songs into my Daily Mix 1 playlist, Robert Plant , the former lead singer of Led Zeppelin , came on singing the lyric, “Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . I heard the voice of Jesus say, Satan, your kingdom must come down.” I had list