Skip to main content

The Fireplace


Swim meets have always been magical, and in recent years we had a run of several years with three girls swimming for the Leonia Swim Club team at once. But all good things come to an end, and after the first meet of the 2010 swim season in Oradell, we drove to our special, post-meet restaurant to eat in Paramus: The Fireplace. We had eaten there a few years earlier after a meet and were hooked on this retro 1950s-like hamburger and French fries joint with a wood paneling interior. They don't use plates; instead, they give what looks like a paper coffee filter and put each item on a filter. We all loved the quirky, old-fashioned feel and it became a special place we would go to eat once or twice each year after an away swim meet in the Paramus area.

This time, though, the magic had worn off. Maybe it was the week of 100-degree weather we were having that had everyone on edge. Maybe it was the realization that a cheeseburger, fries, and a vanilla milkshake is just not that good for you. Maybe it was that my oldest two daughters were no longer swimming on the team, because they had both begun working at summer jobs. I realized earlier that night at the swim meet that I could not remember how long it had been since all three of them were not swimming. But that year, the older two were not swimming competitively for the first time and neither one of them probably ever would again. Maybe I was mourning these losses of childhood, of innocence, of my own place in the world. Having these girls be so dependent on you is the most God-like thing a person will probably ever feel, but it is “planned obsolescence” as the parental role diminishes over time and they go out on their own. So last night, four of us watched our only swimmer, Ava, and I remembered that just last year two of us were watching the three girls swim in the meets. When the four of us—two parents, two near-adults, and one child—ate at The Fireplace this time, things were different. For a moment, I grieved our losses. We all became uptight. I told the older girls we were upset and a little sad because they weren't swimming anymore. A part of our lives was gone, and even the magic of the restaurant was slipping away, too.  

I remember Walter Wangerin in his book, Mourning Into Dancing talked about how these little losses in life and the associated grief that comes is what prepares us for the  finality of death, the ultimate loss that someday we all have to face ourselves. Little losses and griefs preparing us for the big ones. I see this over and over now as I approach the back end of middle age.  

Despite pondering these losses and the pain, I managed to eat the cheeseburger, fries, and the vanilla milkshake, then finished off the rest of my youngest daughter's milkshake because it is tough for a child with wet hair in a wet bathing suit to finish off a cold milkshake. But I was able to suck it up and finish the shake for her. Sometimes, you just have to go on despite the pain.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

The Power of Public Prayers

“Jewish law prefers that Jews pray communally rather than privately.” Joseph Telushkin, “Minyan,” in  Jewish Literacy , 719. I’ve been thinking about this notion for a few days after I read it because I get the impression that most of the Christians I know pray individually and about their own self interests more than anything else. I know this is true of me. But Telushkin, reiterating the teachings of the rabbis in connecting Jewish prayer to the concept of  minyan , where the minimum number of males required to conduct a worship service or say certain prayers is ten, says that public prayer prevents such personal expressions of self-interest. He says:  " . . . the rabbis apparently felt that public prayers are more apt to be offered for that which benefits the entire community, whereas individuals often pray for that which benefits only themselves, even if it be at the expense of someone else" (719). In Evangelical or Pentecostal services that I've attended, at some

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook