Skip to main content

An Account of My (Supposed) Last Day on Earth

When you know it is your last day on earth, what is one supposed to do? Here's how I spent my (supposed) last day on Saturday, May 21, 2011.

8:30 a.m.—Got up three hours later than usual today. Should have gotten up early since it is supposed to be my last day on earth. What was I thinking, wasting all of that time sleeping?

9:45 a.m.—Ate Honey Nut Chex cereal for breakfast. Wanted waffles, but my wife wanted me to help her get out the patio furniture for the summer. I acquiesce, even though it is our last day on earth and we should let someone else worry about the furniture. We end up working over an hour, with my wife then using my saw to prune the bushes like a mad woman. (She tried to take out the chainsaw, but I didn't want her to do something risky and not make it to 6:00 p.m.) Some last day together.

11:00 a.m.—Rode my bicycle to the hardware store for WD-40 lubricant to help fix the grill. Thought I might sneak in one last cheeseburger before 6:00 p.m. hits and I'm gone. Bought the cheap hardware-store brand lubricant since I'll only need it for today. Picked up a library book that I had reserved at the library, forgetting that I would only have a few hours to read it.

12:00 p.m. Eat cheese quesadillas for lunch. Not really a "last day on earth" worthy meal, but my wife doesn't really want to cook. I can't let go of frugality, even on my last day on earth, so I don't offer to take everyone out to a restaurant.

2:00 p.m. Take youngest daughter to her softball game. Even though it is the last game and I shouldn't worry about pre-game warm-ups or batting practice, I can't help myself. I pitch batting practice to the entire team and get other parents to do drills with those standing around in the field. We lose badly anyway. This shouldn't upset me because it is only a team of little girls who don't really care on our last day on earth, but I am still upset about it. Should be enjoying my last day on earth more.

5:45 p.m. Get back from the game and Marcia has burgers ready for the grill, but I have only 15 minutes to get everything done before 6:00 p.m. comes and I go airborne. Looks like I'll be cooking cheeseburgers when the end comes rather than eating them, especially since I am not a fast griller. I like to take my time, listen to NPR, sit in the chair outside, and look at the sky.

6:00 p.m. My wife opens the back door and yells to me that Kim, a friend who stopped by with her daughter, is gone! (I have no idea that she's joking. I've gotten lost in cooking the cheeseburgers and forgotten about the end of the world.)

6:15 p.m. Burgers take a long time since grill doesn't heat up too well. Apparently I will get to eat cheeseburgers after all since we're all still here. My wife keeps coming to the back door to see if the burgers are done.

8:00 p.m. Go on a date with my wife. Take a walk along the Hudson River, although it's a bit gray and foggy. Not really suitable for the end of the world. Go to a Greek restaurant and have baklava and Greek coffee. Pretty good day after all, considering it was supposed to be the end of the world. Guess I'll go to church tomorrow and see if anyone is missing.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook

I Heard the Voice of Robert Plant Say, “Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down”

The other day, as I prepared for my 30-minute commute to my office, I let Spotify pick a playlist for me and off I went to work. You may remember in recent years, I commuted in an older car , a 2002 Mercury Sable with a few quirks that made life interesting. But now I have a 2016 Honda Accord with Bluetooth. It starts all of the time, doesn’t break down and require towing, and this means I have to look for other forms of excitement while commuting. This newer car also meant my music went from cassettes/CDs to Spotify Bluetooth in a remarkably short time, so I’m sticking my hand deep into the musical candy jar each day with Spotify (yes, I heard about it from my children). On this chilly April morning, a few songs into my Daily Mix 1 playlist, Robert Plant , the former lead singer of Led Zeppelin , came on singing the lyric, “Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . I heard the voice of Jesus say, Satan, your kingdom must come down.” I had list