Skip to main content

Thinking of Old Words on Memorial Day Weekend

My Grandma Rainey always used a couple of anachronisms that now make sense to me as I've gotten older. She'd say my dad was born on “Armistice Day,” referring to Veterans Day when they disputed about his birth date because she insisted that his birth certificate actually listed the wrong date for his birth. (She ultimately went and had the birth certificate legally corrected to win the argument. He was born on Armistice Day!) And on this Memorial Day weekend, I now remember that she always used the term “Decoration Day,” which was the name for Memorial Day until she was 50 years old. That’s actually not a crazy thing to say, but I remember thinking it was at the time.

Growing up in my house, we had an icebox to keep the food cold, but it actually wasn’t an icebox. It was a refrigerator, but the old names for things sometimes take a while to be discontinued from use. Somewhere along the way, I stopped using “icebox” but I do not remember when. All I know is that I think we often look down on older people because they say things like that or other things that make them seem so out of touch. I am realizing how many things I say that relate to some event or song from the 1970s or 80s and this would suggest how close I am to becoming an out-of-touch person as well. To deal with these thoughts of my own obsolescence, I tell myself to “live in the moment” and forge ahead with my life, even though I have no idea what it practically means to live in the moment.

This train of thought came to roaring into my head because I read an article on pastries in the Wall Street Journal on Saturday entitled “How Great Thou Tart.” (Maybe I didn't actually read the article. I may have just read the title—I can't remember now.) I thought the title was brilliant, but wondered if it would resonate with younger people who may have no idea that the title plays on an old hymn of the church, “How Great Thou Art.” It seemed as I read the news on Memorial Day weekend that I was seeing my place in the world as one on the back side of the river of time, familiar with things that will be lost to the current younger generation.

I am quite concerned about the state of world affairs right now. I don't know if this is normal for people of a certain age or if things are really worse than they were in the 1980s when I graduated from high school. I have a feeling it is actually not necessarily worse. It’s just that we now know about every single thing that happens everywhere and I don't think this is healthy. But now that I have children coming of age, I want them to experience a good life with freedom to flourish in their lives as I have had opportunities to do so in mine. I guess on this Memorial Day weekend, I'm more aware of the changes in the world, the current conflicts, the struggles among nations and ideologies that have required men and women to serve and sacrifice. I am free today to sit by a peaceful stream in a public park and write these words on a steno pad. This is the fruit of sacrifice. This is freedom. Thank you to those who gave so much for our country.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

The Power of Public Prayers

“Jewish law prefers that Jews pray communally rather than privately.” Joseph Telushkin, “Minyan,” in  Jewish Literacy , 719. I’ve been thinking about this notion for a few days after I read it because I get the impression that most of the Christians I know pray individually and about their own self interests more than anything else. I know this is true of me. But Telushkin, reiterating the teachings of the rabbis in connecting Jewish prayer to the concept of  minyan , where the minimum number of males required to conduct a worship service or say certain prayers is ten, says that public prayer prevents such personal expressions of self-interest. He says:  " . . . the rabbis apparently felt that public prayers are more apt to be offered for that which benefits the entire community, whereas individuals often pray for that which benefits only themselves, even if it be at the expense of someone else" (719). In Evangelical or Pentecostal services that I've attended, at some

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook