Skip to main content

A New Keyboard for Christmas

Created using my Android tablet and tiny keyboard, hunched over looking out indirectly at the sun rising over the golf course in Leesurg, FL.
My tablet now has a keyboard that I got for Christmas. Much smaller, not so easy to type or even press the space key because the space bar is so much smaller. I will inevitably end up fat-fingering the keys. But I can also use voice to overcome some of these typing faux paus. It really is a great time to be alive, except that I am spending so much to time with devices rather than people I love. Or spending time with people through devices I love rather than spending time with them directly. So I guess we are victims of our own devices.
It is the end of another year. I should be setting goals to 2017 but I probably won't. I am by nature a laissez-faire kind of guy. Everything I learned about planning and organization I learned in the corporate world, an alternate universe where people work and do things that they do not do in their home lives. I am thankful for this alternate world; it has forced me to do things I would not have been able to do. But on a vacation week like this, I revert back to laissez-faire, unplanned days that begin with quiet reading and coffee and then veer off in any number of directions. (I am in Google Docs and it keeps auto-correcting me with words I do not want. I know better than to edit while I type but I am doing it anyway. I am not proud of myself right now.) This is the first day I have taken time to journal, so not only am I rusty but I am also using this new keyboard, so let's just get through this and next time I will aim for profundity and such. Sometimes just showing up is enough, like when you go to work after a three-day weekend or a week-long vacation. I am just showing up to journal my thoughts, so there, I am doing this, I can do this, getting something down on the screen, which I have not done in a while because I am too busy or too lazy or I would rather watch TV or scroll through pages of banal Facebook pages. Did you know that I removed Facebook from this device before we left on this trip last week? Yes, I did, and the quality of my life has not diminished in the least.
I noticed we didn't get many Christmas cards this year. It seems to be fewer each year. It made me a little sad. I think it is Facebook's fault. Facebook has taken over everything. I liked Facebook at first, but then they had to monetize it. In fact, everything on the Internet was free at first, and then they had to monetize it. And that ruins everything. You can't give someone something for free and expect them to all of a sudden want to start paying for it. Or looking at creepy ads.
I've now been journaling for about 20 minutes. I'm getting used to this little keyboard, but I am not positioned properly for ergonomics sitting in a wicker chair all hunched over typing. But now I know it works, and I feel like I am accomplishing something by typing on a little Bluetooth keyboard on a beautiful December day in Florida. And that raises one more thing I wanted to mention: Christmas in Florida. It was 85 degrees on Christmas Day. To me, that is not Christmas. That is the evil Solstice. I feel like I have been put in a time warp and emerged in June.  We exchanged gifts, and then the next day I am out in the hot sun playing Bocci ball and then swimming laps. Those things are great, but they are not Christmas-time activities. So I think I missed Christmas and got Solstice. I guess I will have to check the credit card bill in January and see if we really did miss Christmas or if it was just my imagination.
Wow, this was hard work!

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

The Power of Public Prayers

“Jewish law prefers that Jews pray communally rather than privately.” Joseph Telushkin, “Minyan,” in  Jewish Literacy , 719. I’ve been thinking about this notion for a few days after I read it because I get the impression that most of the Christians I know pray individually and about their own self interests more than anything else. I know this is true of me. But Telushkin, reiterating the teachings of the rabbis in connecting Jewish prayer to the concept of  minyan , where the minimum number of males required to conduct a worship service or say certain prayers is ten, says that public prayer prevents such personal expressions of self-interest. He says:  " . . . the rabbis apparently felt that public prayers are more apt to be offered for that which benefits the entire community, whereas individuals often pray for that which benefits only themselves, even if it be at the expense of someone else" (719). In Evangelical or Pentecostal services that I've attended, at some

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook