Skip to main content

The Passing of Time

“How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives. What we do with this hour, and that one, is what we are doing.” Annie Dillard, The Writing Life
I have to admit something: I am obsessed by the passage of time. It is a constant presence in my life, as if I have some allergy that results in irritation or an itchiness that I must constantly attend to. I am constantly paying attention to the passage of time. I have no idea how this happened. Here's an example: I do not really want to be celebrated on my birthday like so many do. I prefer to take the day off from work and contemplate, not be rushed, sip the coffee slowly in the morning, sit by a stream for a little while, anything but be glad that I am another year older. The changing of seasons, say from summer to autumn, is also an emotional experience for me because I see it as a kind of dying, an ending to something that is now being lost. I wish I could see the new season as a new beginning, but I do not. I focus on the end. I mourn my way month-by-month through the cycles of life. I suppose this outlook on life may actually deepen the pleasures I experience because they are commingled with the pain of any experience's brevity.

I told my daughter the other day that I want to buy raw sugar in the brown packets because I love the way it tastes, but I then immediately said that if we did that, it would no longer be special when we get to have the sugar in a nice restaurant or on a cruise. It would become something normal, something always available. Maybe I love the raw sugar because my time with it is so limited, just as it is with seasons of the year, or certain people I've known, or even my own children. Children are born and you think you have them for a long time, only to find that "soon enough" their childhood and your youth is gone and though we should know better, we are still surprised by it when it actually happens. We have been in the same house now for 15 years, and even though moving out closer to where we work makes sense for a number of reasons, I want to stay put because staying in one place makes me feel as if I am marking time, preventing it from passing or at least slowing it down.

I recently heard a quote from Will Durant, who said that as we get older, life puts us under “general anesthesia.” I think I know exactly what he means. If you live long enough, you will feel a certain numbness toward life because of all that you've been through, even though you can't always explain what it all means.

The writer of Ecclesiastes, a book in the Bible, wrestled with life, apparently from the vantage point of nearing the end as the author looked back on what his life and the choices he made means. The profound statement in this book is when the author pointed out that “God has set eternity in our hearts.” Some people reject this innate longing for eternity and “live in the moment” (You can do a search for that phrase and find it is a current popular catchphrase), but Ecclesiastes correctly acknowledges the source of our yearning to break free from time's limitations seems to explain what I, and I think most people, are feeling. My sensitivity to time and its brevity is pointing me to something more than this life offers, particularly since I am likely two-thirds of the way toward the end of my journey. If this is all there is, then I am approaching the shore and had better be living in the moment because you reach a point where all that's left are moments.

Despite this longing for eternity, I still tend to focus on the loss of time in its many manifestations, like when I walk by the hourglass in our home that someone gave me years ago and I turn it over so that the sand runs down. I guess this is what I feel—the sand running down in the hourglass—every day of my life. Maybe this is how eternity in the heart looks, but I am not certain. But I do wonder how many more times I will get to turn the hourglass over. At this point, all I can say is . . . so far, so good.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

The Power of Public Prayers

“Jewish law prefers that Jews pray communally rather than privately.” Joseph Telushkin, “Minyan,” in  Jewish Literacy , 719. I’ve been thinking about this notion for a few days after I read it because I get the impression that most of the Christians I know pray individually and about their own self interests more than anything else. I know this is true of me. But Telushkin, reiterating the teachings of the rabbis in connecting Jewish prayer to the concept of  minyan , where the minimum number of males required to conduct a worship service or say certain prayers is ten, says that public prayer prevents such personal expressions of self-interest. He says:  " . . . the rabbis apparently felt that public prayers are more apt to be offered for that which benefits the entire community, whereas individuals often pray for that which benefits only themselves, even if it be at the expense of someone else" (719). In Evangelical or Pentecostal services that I've attended, at some

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook