Skip to main content

Jealous Devices

Somewhere in the past year I lost the will to write, the discipline to sit alone and let words roll down onto a lined, white steno pad page. This is not entirely true and I have had a few exceptions to this trend, but in general this thing—writing—that has brought me such joy and therapeutic pleasure has diminished. Maybe my “dark night of the soul” that lead me to write so profusely has concluded and I no longer need it. Maybe the aging process is creeping over into writing, and just as so many things diminish as the sun starts to set on our lives, maybe my writing is diminishing as well.

During the past year I got an electronic tablet and the truth is that I now fritter so much more time away checking Twitter, Facebook, Amazon, and the Internet that used to be devoted to other things like writing. So yes, I'd say Nicholas Carr was right: Google is making me stupid, another creative analog native neutered by the digital age. Despite the self-hatred and loathing that comes after I've sat and stared into the blue glow for an hour or two, not unlike Plato's shadowy cave, I seem unable to stop myself. I write on steno pads to fight the power of the digital device, to tell the tablet it doesn't own me. When I use the wire-bound steno pad, Facebook and Twitter are not a click away, tempting me to abandon the creative process and go passive. Gmail does not hijack my train of thought, making me anxious because their might be, although extremely unlikely, an important email in the midst of all of those solicitations and offers that for some reason now unbeknownst to me now I actually signed up for, probably because it was much easier just to click the “I agree” check box than to actually read a legal disclaimer.

I still do not own a smart phone, but the electronic tablet has already accelerated the natural complacency that sets in when one becomes a man of a certain age. I fear if I get a smart phone, I will become like everyone else: tame, passive, oblivious to the world around them, fixated on the little digital device while interesting people and sunsets and glorious nature pass by without notice. When I show people my flip-styled cell phone, they always make me feel as if I am missing something, that somehow the real world is passing me by. I don't think it is. Maybe I' m crazy, but I don't need to know everything at the moment it happens. I don't want to be accessible 24x7. I don't need an answer to every question I have at the moment I think of it. I don't need to see the current status of every friend I've ever known. It's all too much for me to bear. I am just one guy who likes to sit and look out of the window on a rainy day, or step outside at the morning daybreak, breathe in the morning air while I pick up the newspaper, just as I have been doing for forty years. A smart phone would make me feel as if I am always falling behind and need to gaze at the little god in my hand. A smart phone is a jealous lover who demands your attention. And it looks like to me like she gets attention from her lovers, and when that happens, everyone else gets much less.

Please don't tell my tablet you heard me talking about a smart phone!

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

The Power of Public Prayers

“Jewish law prefers that Jews pray communally rather than privately.” Joseph Telushkin, “Minyan,” in  Jewish Literacy , 719. I’ve been thinking about this notion for a few days after I read it because I get the impression that most of the Christians I know pray individually and about their own self interests more than anything else. I know this is true of me. But Telushkin, reiterating the teachings of the rabbis in connecting Jewish prayer to the concept of  minyan , where the minimum number of males required to conduct a worship service or say certain prayers is ten, says that public prayer prevents such personal expressions of self-interest. He says:  " . . . the rabbis apparently felt that public prayers are more apt to be offered for that which benefits the entire community, whereas individuals often pray for that which benefits only themselves, even if it be at the expense of someone else" (719). In Evangelical or Pentecostal services that I've attended, at some

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook