Skip to main content

Praying with Sartre and Foucault on My Birthday


Recently I picked a little French restaurant in the NoHo section of New York City for us to go to on my birthday called Le Philosophe. It turned out to be quite an ironic choice, albeit an accidental one. Earlier in the same week, I had attended my daughter's middle school soccer game in Haledon, New Jersey. I arrived in the second half to find our team well ahead and to find the other team with two players on the other wearing Islamic headscarves, including the goalkeeper. (I am uncertain if there is any connection to the headscarves and our soccer victory.) I do not recall thinking to myself, "Well, if we were in France, I don't think they would be doing that!" although earlier in the year I had read the first chapter of a book called Why the French Don't Like Headscarves, which is about the ban on Islamic women from wearing the hijab, or headscarves, in France. I guess it turns out that having a secular society doesn't necessarily correspond to having more freedom, although it would be fun to see what would happen in France to a cleric walking around with a big mitre on his head. (I think I recall a man saying to me once that he had considered the priesthood, and he thought he could have lived with celibacy but not having to wear that big funny looking thing on his head.) Anyway, I doubt if there is a ban on that in France.

I really hadn't given much thought to the French at all that week despite the soccer game. However, a residual, subliminal thought must have slipped in because when I went to pick a restaurant for Sunday afternoon on my birthday, I chose a French restaurant for a late brunch. It may also be that I know that Sunday brunch is cheaper than Sunday not brunch, but again I think it was a subliminal thing rather than a full blown, conscious decision.

By the time we finished at our church and arrived home by about 1:15 p.m., I had one of my world-class Sunday migraine headaches. For some reason, I get them on Sundays more than any other day of the week. While I have sometimes wondered with all of the headaches whether or not Christianity agrees with my constitution, or that Pentecostal church music is just a little too loud for me, in the end I keep plugging away at my faith, inconveniences and all. But that day, I needed to lie down for about half an hour to let the Excedrin Migraine do its magic after I got home. (I also lie down for a half hour on Sundays I don't have the headaches for other reasons.) But the half hour rest made us late for the reservation, and as a result we had to pay to park instead of driving around the block several times looking for free parking on the street like I usually do. This is the kind of thing that can nearly ruin a night out for me. I drive old cars so I can park on the street and not have to pay or worry about the car getting hit, bumped, or dinged. But on this afternoon, there was my 2002 Sable being dropped off at a parking lot with an attendant that would later ask for $28 for us to get it back. Bummer.

The most striking thing about the restaurant when we walked in was a large mural with black and white photographs of people that I did not recognize. Not one. We figured the pictures must be of French people, given this was a French restaurant (although the owner was Japanese). At that point I started lamenting my educational gaps, which apparently included nothing on the French. (I also have a big Shakespeare gap as well and know next to nothing about his plays.) The only Frenchman I could remember was Yannick Noah, the tennis player (not on the wall) and Alexis de Tocqueville (also not on the wall I don't think) who turns up frequently because of Democracy in America, which I like to quote from although I have never read it because it is a really big book.

After I prayed to thank God for the meal—I usually pray when we are out in public places although I try to do it discreetly, unlike my mother's second husband who would stand and lift his hands in the air in a restaurant while I crawled under the table—we ate a nice brunch with good food and great service. We then asked about the pictures on the wall. A server brought us the laminated print of the mural with the names of the people. I did not recognize most of them even with the names. I had only heard of Joan of Arc, and then I found two names that I did recognize: Jean-Paul Sartre and Michel Foucault, two of the preeminent philosophers of the twentieth century. Both of them were atheists. And it was a little later, while waiting for the Blue Man Group show to start, that I realized another ironic moment had occurred with the French: We prayed together in a French restaurant on my birthday while Sartre and Foucault looked on, certain that they would not have approved of such a thing.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

The Power of Public Prayers

“Jewish law prefers that Jews pray communally rather than privately.” Joseph Telushkin, “Minyan,” in  Jewish Literacy , 719. I’ve been thinking about this notion for a few days after I read it because I get the impression that most of the Christians I know pray individually and about their own self interests more than anything else. I know this is true of me. But Telushkin, reiterating the teachings of the rabbis in connecting Jewish prayer to the concept of  minyan , where the minimum number of males required to conduct a worship service or say certain prayers is ten, says that public prayer prevents such personal expressions of self-interest. He says:  " . . . the rabbis apparently felt that public prayers are more apt to be offered for that which benefits the entire community, whereas individuals often pray for that which benefits only themselves, even if it be at the expense of someone else" (719). In Evangelical or Pentecostal services that I've attended, at some

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook