Skip to main content

The Memorial Day Parade at Flat Rock Brook

When I sit by a stream, I start to remember who I am. The sunlight shines a spotlight on the water in certain places and you can see the rocks clearly on the bottom of the brook. The liquid facade hides what is below in most places, except where the brightness brings clarity. And the same brightness seems to shine in my soul when I am at Flat Rock and I somehow remember who I am.

My life feels like it is a mess today. If I think this thought through rationally, I would conclude this is not true. But I emphasize that it feels this way because the feelings are so powerful and desperate that I cannot shake them off at home or church or work. But they are only feelings. No events or circumstances in my life demand such desperation, but inside me is turbulence and chaos. I am on the verge of tears but they never come. I long for the gentleness of the brook's waters that glide by to somehow jump the bank and enter my tempest-tossed soul. A woman who was walking across the wooden bridge just got a cellphone call, and the phone rang a loud, old-fashioned ring. She looked over at me, the contemplative mystic sitting on the bench by the brook, and apologized as she went ahead and answered the call.

My soul is settling in with the rhythm of the gentle waters. Great, now a Korean couple walks by. She is carrying a hand-held radio and blasting a Korean pop song that strikes at my serenity as she passes. Now a family with three noisy children . . . okay, now it is various other hikers going by as if the Memorial Day parade is here! Now what? A power walker flailing her arms in an absurd-looking manner passes by. I am feeling the pressure in my head return. The boom-box couple pass by again and cross over the wooden bridge, another pop song blaring. And why not this: A guy carrying two five-pound dumbbells comes by for the second time. Who knew? A Korean man who looks a little like Tim Conway, maybe because the balding pattern was similar, makes his way past. My serenity has by now been subverted by people constantly walking behind my back and then in front of me as I sit on bench. My serene bliss has been overrun by a Memorial Day Parade. The power walker goes by flailing her arms again. I notice her face is angry and tense, which makes me even more angry and tense.

The waters, ever so peaceful below, are unfortunately out of reach today. Although Memorial Day should be about those who departed, the living are out in full force today, parading past me as I sit on a wooden bench with a steno pad in my hand waiting for the muse to come and give me words to write down. I have found tranquility and inspiration so many times at Flat Rock Brook, but today the muse will not come because she only comes to a quiet heart. Two middle-aged woman now walk by, one complaining about her daughter's purple hair and reinserted lip ring. "What kind of job are you looking for with purple hair and a lip ring?" she asks. Her friend did not say a word as they crossed the wooden bridge.

I will not feel the calm in my soul today. Sometimes He calms the storm, and sometimes He calms the child. And sometimes, just knowing your daughter doesn't have purple hair and a lip ring has to be enough. I take consolation in this thought today. Once again, Flat Rock Brook has given me a glimmer of encouragement.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

The Power of Public Prayers

“Jewish law prefers that Jews pray communally rather than privately.” Joseph Telushkin, “Minyan,” in  Jewish Literacy , 719. I’ve been thinking about this notion for a few days after I read it because I get the impression that most of the Christians I know pray individually and about their own self interests more than anything else. I know this is true of me. But Telushkin, reiterating the teachings of the rabbis in connecting Jewish prayer to the concept of  minyan , where the minimum number of males required to conduct a worship service or say certain prayers is ten, says that public prayer prevents such personal expressions of self-interest. He says:  " . . . the rabbis apparently felt that public prayers are more apt to be offered for that which benefits the entire community, whereas individuals often pray for that which benefits only themselves, even if it be at the expense of someone else" (719). In Evangelical or Pentecostal services that I've attended, at some

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook