Skip to main content

My First Time at "Leonia Reads" and My Change Falls Out of My Pocket


After over a decade of living in this community often referred to as an “artists' colony,” I finally attended Leonia Reads, an annual event of the The Players Guild of Leonia held at the Civil War Drill Hall Theater, where Leonia writers read pieces they have written. I have often thought of attending several times leading up to the previous 13 readings—even envisioned getting up and reading one of my pieces myself—but I thought there was probably some sort of “writer's etiquette” that says you don't just show up your first time to a reading and expect to read yourself (although I learned from my friend Ann Piccirrillo, who also read one of her writings, that she has only been two times and has done readings both times. But she grew up on the East Coast and has hutzpah while I'm a shy Midwesterner). Besides, I had this fear that I would get up and read something and people would think, “How did he get in here? Don't they check on these people?” So I drove down on a beautiful Saturday afternoon with a pocket full of change, parked, and jaywalked across Grand Avenue to get into the free event.

The event started right on time. I saw a few people I know sitting in the audience, and saw Ann's husband Jim and their children, so I walked over and sat near him. This turned out to be a good move because early in the program, I slightly slumped down in my chair and change started falling out my pocket, some rolling down to the bleaches to the lower rows (I was on the back row) and some falling in between the bleachers. Although it couldn't have been more than a dollar's worth of change, it sounded like I was loaded and ready to go to the laundromat with all of the clanging. The reader kept her composure and just kept reading, even though I'm sure she wanted to scream. I think most people thought it was Jim and his children, who were dressed in their soccer uniforms. Because I also sensed that everyone thought it was actually Jim, I quickly recovered from the shame and humiliation and enjoyed the readings.

Reader six was Marvin Kitman reading “My Friend Bob.” I had never heard of Marvin Kitman—remember I'm a Midwesterner--but thought his default facial expression looked as if he was about to burst out laughing at any moment. He read a brilliant humor piece about his former neighbor, Robert Ludlum, whose name sounded vaguely familiar. I looked them both up afterward and was glad I had chosen not to read on this first visit—Kitman is a legendary former Newsday columnist and Ludlum wrote The Bourne Identity among his many novels, which I had of course heard of because of the movie.

Leonia Reads is also a good way to find out your neighbors names. A little later I saw Paul Leibow, who lives just up the street from me, and he read three of his poems. I found out later he is actually an artist. I haven't met too many artists in my lifetime, but he certainly doesn't look like one to me.

Number fourteen was Blair Birmelin, whom I figured out was the lady who swims laps at the pool. Since she usually wears a swim cap while she swims, it took me a while to make the connection. Next was a young lady named Petaluma Vale, whose name I just sat and kept saying over and over in my head because it had such a poetic ring too it. That name gives her a head start over the other poets, but her poetry lived up to the name. It was good.

Michael Perino read from an actual hardcover book—The Hellhound of Wall Street--unlike many of the others who had various binders or papers in folders. (Note to self: It looks really cool when you walk to the podium to read from your own hardcover book!) I later found out he was a law professor at St. John's. His book was about a federal prosecutor who prosecuted people implicated in the Stock Market Crash of 1929.

A little later, Rowena Wangenheim mesmerized the audience with her dramatic reading from a new play by Kathleen Clark about a woman who kills her husband over a misinterpretation of something he says in a dream. I coached soccer nearly ten years ago with Kathleen the year that she got hit right between the eyes with a soccer ball and went flying backwards during our last game of the season. I remember saying to her as she sat on the ground trying to regain her composure, “I think God is trying to tell you something!” She apparently went home and rewrote the ending to her play Soccer Moms that played for a while in New York after her little soccer incident. I'm still a little upset that she scheduled all of the soccer practices that year right after school when I couldn't go to them.

The readings ended with Paul Byerly, a guy I used to coach against in softball a few years ago in the Leonia Junior Girls Softball League. He looked exactly the same as he did then and still wore a ball cap and had a beard. I had no idea he could write such a fine piece on “Pet Care.” After he ended, I smiled at a few people and left to go home, amazed that such a small town could have such a high concentration of talented writers. Fortunately, my high self esteem will serve me well in his town.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook

I Heard the Voice of Robert Plant Say, “Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down”

The other day, as I prepared for my 30-minute commute to my office, I let Spotify pick a playlist for me and off I went to work. You may remember in recent years, I commuted in an older car , a 2002 Mercury Sable with a few quirks that made life interesting. But now I have a 2016 Honda Accord with Bluetooth. It starts all of the time, doesn’t break down and require towing, and this means I have to look for other forms of excitement while commuting. This newer car also meant my music went from cassettes/CDs to Spotify Bluetooth in a remarkably short time, so I’m sticking my hand deep into the musical candy jar each day with Spotify (yes, I heard about it from my children). On this chilly April morning, a few songs into my Daily Mix 1 playlist, Robert Plant , the former lead singer of Led Zeppelin , came on singing the lyric, “Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . I heard the voice of Jesus say, Satan, your kingdom must come down.” I had list