Skip to main content

Confessions of a Two-Year Old, Third Child by My Daughter Ava

My daughter dictated this little essay to me just before her second birthday based on her experiences being a third child.

I’m almost two now, but I’ve already learned a thing or two. Like I don’t like to sleep alone. Yeah, parents nowadays try to break children but mine couldn’t break me. Started out with my own crib as most babies do, but that was really more like being in prison. Those wooden slats--of course my parents were too cheap to get me my own new crib, so I had to use my sisters' old, dangerous drop-side crib--were just like prison bars to me, keeping Mommy and Daddy beyond my reach. So as soon as I could, I showed them I could climb out. Of course, when you’re less than one year old, you’d think a parent would be there to catch you. Boy, was I ever wrong. My Mommy and Daddy were both in the room, yet I managed to do a half flip and land on the back of my head. My Daddy, who was closest, just stood there and watched. It was then that I realized my first big lesson in life—they leave the third child alone! That’s right. For better or worse, they leave the third child alone. When you’re the first child, they catch you before you fall, pick up immediately after you hurt yourself, etc. But for the third child, they’re different. Slower. More tired. I fell on my back from four feet in the air and they just stood there and watched. Man, that hurt so bad. In fact, I gave them my intermittent, high alert warning cry, which is when I let out a high pitched squeaky cry which alternates with a long gasp for air. It literally sounds like I’m dying, but even then they just held me and talked about whether or not they should take me to the hospital. I mean, we’re talking a potential closed head injury or broken neck, and they’re calmly discussing whether or not I should go to the emergency room. If it had been of my sisters at my age, it would have been an instant 9-1-1 call. But for me, a calm discussion. Finally, Mommy took me to the ER while Daddy stayed home with my sisters.

So after that experience, I realized I could be an independent, carefree girl, and that’s really what I’ve been. Except I really do not like to sleep alone. I mean, who thought of putting everyone in their own bedrooms? My Mommy used to nurse me to sleep, and then lay me down in my crib. Never liked that last part. Why can’t I just stay next to her? So I would wake up and scream and cry. That was when I realized another life lesson: they can’t take my long, blaring cry. After two other children, they no longer have the ability to outlast my potent extended, blaring cry. After battling two other girls about what they are going to wear, which color barrette matches their outfit, and such knock down, drag out topics as that, they have no energy to take on me and my crying. So they do whatever is necessary to shut me up.  When they put me to bed at night, I demand an adult be with me until I fall asleep. They’ve only tried to lay me down and have me go to sleep on my own once. Boy, did they ever pay big for that one. I screamed and wailed so much that my Daddy was banging his head on the wall, crying. After that ordeal, any time I woke up and realized that I was alone, one of them came to get me.  Once I got them good and trained, if I wake up at night and find myself alone, I just get up and go into their bedroom and get right in the middle. They never refuse.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook

I Heard the Voice of Robert Plant Say, “Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down”

The other day, as I prepared for my 30-minute commute to my office, I let Spotify pick a playlist for me and off I went to work. You may remember in recent years, I commuted in an older car , a 2002 Mercury Sable with a few quirks that made life interesting. But now I have a 2016 Honda Accord with Bluetooth. It starts all of the time, doesn’t break down and require towing, and this means I have to look for other forms of excitement while commuting. This newer car also meant my music went from cassettes/CDs to Spotify Bluetooth in a remarkably short time, so I’m sticking my hand deep into the musical candy jar each day with Spotify (yes, I heard about it from my children). On this chilly April morning, a few songs into my Daily Mix 1 playlist, Robert Plant , the former lead singer of Led Zeppelin , came on singing the lyric, “Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . I heard the voice of Jesus say, Satan, your kingdom must come down.” I had list