Skip to main content

The Long Road to Recovery

News reports the other day indicated that Gabrielle Giffords spoke for the first time since the shooting and asked for toast. I am happy for her, but this news is also upsetting to me. These amazing recoveries make me think about my mom's head injury and the choices I made on her behalf. Choices that did not lead to a miraculous recovery, but ended in her death on her fifth day in neuro ICU at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis just over ten years ago. She had gotten knocked to the pavement accidentally getting out of a friend's car to go to work at the Sally's Beauty Supply in my hometown. She was air-lifted to St. Louis while they were trying to reach me at work. But I had gone at lunchtime to a public library, where I was writing an introduction to a lesson about the book of Job. One moment is was writing about Job. The next moment I was Job, wondering why life had sucker-punched me. With my mom's non-recovery, I find it often bothers me when people do recover, particularly from head injuries, no matter how superficial my perspective of their recovery is.

Bob Woodward, the ABC news anchor, was the first to bother me. He was hit by the roadside bomb in Iraq while reporting on the war. I remember seeing him interviewed for the first time, and even though it was obvious he had gone through a grueling recovery, it made me a little angry. Why? Because he was alive and my mom was not. Both Giffords and Woodward had a section of their skulls removed, something the doctor in my mom's case didn't think was a very good idea when the pressure in her brain began to rise. I seem to recall that he thought the probability was that she would end up with minimal cognitive ability if she lived. Looking back now, it was probably the only chance to save her life. I think about that choice when someone recovers, and wish I had done things differently. At least in those moments I do. I feel guilty saying that I took solace in Natasha Richardson's death two years ago after her skiing accident, but I did. Finally someone famous had it turn out all wrong for them too, just like it did for us. Liam Neeson's choices turned out just like mine did.

After Woodward, I have seen reports on numerous soldiers who have recovered from serious head injuries resulting from brain trauma, although many of them are significantly impaired for life. I loathe myself for being upset about their recoveries, but I get that way sometimes.

Mostly I don't think about my mom's accident and death too much anymore. This heavy burden is lightened by time and stripped of its power by faith. The last week of September, the week it all happened, is often an introspective week for me. Yet I also find late September to be one of the most beautiful times of the year. In the aftermath of tragedy, joy will come knocking at your door. I've learned to open that door more often than not.

Marcia' shares some of this sadness now with me because her mother died on the same late-September day as my mom's accident. But her mother died of cancer. Death is almost a welcome relief to those who suffer with cancer, a logical, rational ending. Death from an accident is cruel, and the timing is all wrong. But in the end, my mom died in part because I instructed them to take her off life support. I contributed to the timing I now despise. I got to play God for just a moment and hated it.

I find it impossible not to second guess The Decision. I really do want Gabrielle Giffords to recover and have a good quality of life. But if she does, I'm pretty sure it will bother me too. The road to recovery from tragedy is a long one.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

The Power of Public Prayers

“Jewish law prefers that Jews pray communally rather than privately.” Joseph Telushkin, “Minyan,” in  Jewish Literacy , 719. I’ve been thinking about this notion for a few days after I read it because I get the impression that most of the Christians I know pray individually and about their own self interests more than anything else. I know this is true of me. But Telushkin, reiterating the teachings of the rabbis in connecting Jewish prayer to the concept of  minyan , where the minimum number of males required to conduct a worship service or say certain prayers is ten, says that public prayer prevents such personal expressions of self-interest. He says:  " . . . the rabbis apparently felt that public prayers are more apt to be offered for that which benefits the entire community, whereas individuals often pray for that which benefits only themselves, even if it be at the expense of someone else" (719). In Evangelical or Pentecostal services that I've attended, at some

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook