Skip to main content

Ambidextrous

The door on room 310 in Good Samaritan Hospital has a faded, metal nameplate that says, “Illinois Knitting Company” that seems out of place on the freshly painted, clean door. Illinois Knitting must have donated money to the hospital back in the 1960s. I doubt if the company exists anymore. Pretty soon, this hospital will not be here either, slated for demolition when the new version of Good Sam is built on Veteran’s Memorial Drive on the west side of town. The town is sprawling that way in the name of progress (and toward Wal-Mart and Lowe’s, the new center of town) as the old downtown and surrounding neighborhoods slowly empty out.

I have come to see my grandfather, but he is not in the room. The Information Desk had him still occupying this room, but it appears that he is gone. Since he is 90, I am not certain what this means, whether he is gone to be with the Lord or just gone to the nursing home. The other day when Marcia and the girls and I visited him, we finished the visit by praying for him. When we finished, we thought he was dying as his eyes rolled back and he closed them, apparently seeing heavenly visions and angels that none of the rest of us could see. He was not with us for a few brief moments, and then he returned. This is the beginning of birth pangs.

The Next Day
Another nurse is asking him a lot of medical questions. She is serious, joyless, and she sits on his bed right on his foot with the bedsore. He screams out in pain. She apologizes. Welcome to the nursing home.

He has it in his head he is turning 92 on his next birthday, but he is one off. He is only 90. I know better than to correct a 90-year old, but I try anyway. “I’m not either. I’m 91!” he says when I tell him he’s only 90. He will not change his mind. I let it go.

He is now in room 120 on Sunshine Boulevard in White Oak Rehab Center and Nursing facility. The irony of the names of the wings in these places. “Sunshine Boulevard.” Life at 90 in a nursing home is anything but sunny. His wife of 71 years is gone and he would probably say, “ain’t not sunshine when she’s gone.” He is in hospice for failure to thrive after my grandmother passed away of cancer in March.

He is asked to sign some papers because my uncle is not there. “Which hand do you write with?” the austere nurse asks.
“Both,” he says.
“Is that a joke?” She is skeptical. He’s already missed on his age. What other crazy stuff will he come up with?
“No,” he insists.

This time her suspicion is unfounded. I understood immediately what he was talking about when he said that. My dad was left-handed. I am right-handed, but I learned to eat and write left-handed when I broke my wrist as a boy and can still do these things when necessary even today. I have long had a feeling that I could just as easily been left-handed had I just chose to use that hand. I also vaguely recall in the last six months picking up a softball left-handed and throwing a bullet from thirty feet at our church picnic, even though I have always played sports right-handed. My shoulder has hurt ever since when I try to work out though. But I could do it. Now I know this ambidextrous bent is something I share with my grandfather. We never talked about it because my grandmother did all of the talking in the family. She answered the phone, paid the bills, chose the meals, and dictated the direction of conversations in their living room. My grandpa was called in occasionally when she needed someone to agree with her. I knew very little about him.

The nurse handed him the papers and pointed where to sign. My grandpa signed his name carefully and slowly. She took the paper back. “You have the most beautiful handwriting I’ve ever seen.”
“Thank you,” he said.
It doesn’t seem right that a man going into a nursing home could sign his name perfectly, but he did.
He signed his name right-handed.

My grandpa, Gerald Rainey, died on July 15, 2010. He was buried on his 91st birthday. I read the poem "I Left My Grandpa Sitting in the Recliner" that I had written after my grandma's funeral at the graveside rites. 

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook

I Heard the Voice of Robert Plant Say, “Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down”

The other day, as I prepared for my 30-minute commute to my office, I let Spotify pick a playlist for me and off I went to work. You may remember in recent years, I commuted in an older car , a 2002 Mercury Sable with a few quirks that made life interesting. But now I have a 2016 Honda Accord with Bluetooth. It starts all of the time, doesn’t break down and require towing, and this means I have to look for other forms of excitement while commuting. This newer car also meant my music went from cassettes/CDs to Spotify Bluetooth in a remarkably short time, so I’m sticking my hand deep into the musical candy jar each day with Spotify (yes, I heard about it from my children). On this chilly April morning, a few songs into my Daily Mix 1 playlist, Robert Plant , the former lead singer of Led Zeppelin , came on singing the lyric, “Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . I heard the voice of Jesus say, Satan, your kingdom must come down.” I had list