Skip to main content

The Barbershop and Byron

I went to get a haircut at Adolfo's Haircutters in Cliffside Park yesterday, the barbershop I have been going to for the past fifteen years. Adolfo's is a real barbershop. It has a swirling red, white, and blue barber pole outside, and you don't need an appointment. Just show up, wait your turn and read the paper or a magazine until it is your turn to get in the chair. I only have to tell him "short" or "really short." No complicated layering, styling, or anything like that. I just want a regular haircut. I use the 97-cent Suave shampoo from Shop Rite, and I don't use styling gel, mousse, or any of those fancy hair products, so there's no need to try anything crazy. Just a regular haircut. It's not as if I'm the Jonas Brothers or anything.

Each time I go to Adolpho's, I get a good look at my face in the mirror. I see the lines deepening on my forehead. I see the weariness that grows around my eyes. Some of these visits to the barbershop are better than others are. Sometimes I think I look old. Other times I am pleased that I seem to be holding up well.

My mother-in-law had a good complexion up until the day she died a couple of years ago when she was 62. She put Baby Magic lotion on her face every night before she went to bed, a habit that seemed to contribute to her wrinkle-free skin. So I started doing the same thing after she died, I guess as a way to fight off the wrinkles but also as a way to honor her. I put it on most days after I shave in the morning. I have no idea if it helps, but I think of her when I do it so it seems worthwhile.

After Adolpho finished the haircut, I grabbed the Spin magazine from the counter that had a 25-year anniversary tribute to the making of the movie "Purple Rain." I sat in the barbershop and read it. It was a lazy day with pouring rain, so taking my sweet time and reading about Purple Rain made sense. I then went to the gym for a quick workout. When I finally got home, Marcia told me the news. Jeff Schultz wanted me to call him because Byron Weld had died last night of a heart attack.

This kind of news never comes when you expect it, and the thinking doesn't always go the way you expect it too either. I immediately thought about the Prince concert I had gone to in 1981 in St. Louis with Ed Steele and Jerome White, but couldn't remember if Byron was the fourth person or not. I wondered if the meal he ate almost every night in high school--a quarter pounder with cheese, large fries, and a coke--had caused the heart attack. I thought about the last time I saw him, which was at the Jefferson County Jail in about 1988.

I don’t remember how we got close, but we both lived with our grandparents. This gave us a bond I suppose. The setting for our friendship mostly took place at the City Park basketball courts, Mount Vernon's melting pot. One picture I have of Byron is where his long, flowing black curls are drenched in sweat after we have played several games of full court basketball. We are both fifteen, young, strong and good looking and cannot imagine ever reaching middle age. We did not yet know that time is a conqueror that would eventually conquer us.

The other picture I have of Byron is a god-awful Florida Department of Corrections web site photo of him that I saw last year. Very little in this picture reminded me of my high school friend. He looked old, gray, and angry. His eyes were hollow and distant. The wide-eyed wonder of youth was long gone. His demons seemed to have gotten the best of him. I went back to find that picture again today and was thankful it was no longer there.

I don't care for sudden death, the kind Byron had where you go to bed one night and just don't get up the next morning, or ever again. I prefer the dying to take a while, to give us a chance to decide what we really believe in, make things right with our Maker, reconcile with someone, or do whatever we need to do. My Dad took a couple of years to die, and although our relationship would have needed about twenty more years to mend, his illness and return to Southern Illinois from California for his last two years of life did give us time to talk more than we had in a long time. Sudden death affords none of that.

I went to the barbershop Saturday. The lines on my face I saw in the mirror reminded me that time is slowly conquering me. Then Byron reminded me that time can also suddenly conquer us, and we do not get to choose. It chooses us.

Note: Tina, Byron's wife, read this piece and wrote to let me know that Byron had gotten his life together in the last couple of years and was doing well when he died. I was glad to hear his final chapter was a good one.

Popular posts from this blog

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

I Heard the Voice of Robert Plant Say, “Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down”

The other day, as I prepared for my 30-minute commute to my office, I let Spotify pick a playlist for me and off I went to work. You may remember in recent years, I commuted in an older car , a 2002 Mercury Sable with a few quirks that made life interesting. But now I have a 2016 Honda Accord with Bluetooth. It starts all of the time, doesn’t break down and require towing, and this means I have to look for other forms of excitement while commuting. This newer car also meant my music went from cassettes/CDs to Spotify Bluetooth in a remarkably short time, so I’m sticking my hand deep into the musical candy jar each day with Spotify (yes, I heard about it from my children). On this chilly April morning, a few songs into my Daily Mix 1 playlist, Robert Plant , the former lead singer of Led Zeppelin , came on singing the lyric, “Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . I heard the voice of Jesus say, Satan, your kingdom must come down.” I had list