Skip to main content

(Bob) Marley and Me, and Porridge

I realized yesterday that the only song I have ever heard with the word “porridge” in it was Bob Marley’s “No Woman, No Cry.” Bob Marley, Rastafarian, ganja-smoking, Jamaican reggae singer Bob Marley used that word in a song. “Porridge.” P-o-r-r-i-d-g-e. I have the song on a Jonathan Butler CD from the library right now. I listen to it over and over. I like Butler’s more polished version a little better than Marley’s version. No matter who sings it, though, the lyrics have this beautiful innocence to them that I could never explain. I would play it sometimes for Marcia or one of the girls and say, “Isn’t that a beautiful song.”
But they didn’t hear what I heard. I didn’t even know what I heard. I just loved it, but you can’t love something without knowing why you love it. Finally, I understood yesterday. It was the porridge. The porridge takes me back to the innocence of childhood. Back to “Goldilocks and the Three Bears,” the children’s story that puts me back on my mother’s lap listening to her read the story. I can hear her voice repeating the little bear’s words, “And someone’s been eating my porridge!” I also remember porridge in the lyric of a nursery rhyme that I used to play on a vinyl 33 1/3 RPM Disney album on our record player: “Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old.” I didn’t even really know what porridge was, but I associated it with a time of innocence and tenderness. I had to look it up in the dictionary.
In “No Woman, No Cry,” the man tells the woman that he cooked “corn meal and porridge, of which I shared with you." When I hear that line, I feel my childhood, when I felt happy and loved. When I didn’t know a person could be anything other than happy and hopeful. But the song is not about that. He’s telling her not to cry. Something is wrong. “No woman, no cry!” The first verse has already told us that they have had and lost “good friends.” For some reason, they seem too young to have faced such pain, but they stick together and the song plows on through the pain and the porridge to its hopeful finale, repeating “Everything’s gonna be alright” over and over until by the end I believe it with all of my heart. Despite their pain, the couple presses on, sharing life, love, corn meal and porridge. I think this is a good synopsis of how we live.
I could believe “everything’s gonna be all right” without much trouble at 17 and had my whole life ahead of me. Everything did just seem to be all right, or at least it turned out all right back then. When I found God, I thought He would make everything turn out all right, too. The plan worked to perfection for a while, but the enough things went wrong for people I knew and me that I had to redefine what “all right” meant.
Knowing that Bob Marley died of cancer when he was only 36 sprinkles a little sadness on this song. Mostly though, I am taken back to a time of childhood innocence, especially when I hear him sing the part about the porridge. I played the song again for Marcia the other day and told her about the word “porridge” being in the song, and she just said, “It makes perfect sense since Jamaica was colonized by the British. Isn’t porridge some kind of British soup?”
I guess I was disappointed when she said that because she didn’t feel anything close to what I felt. Her comment was so rationale, so logical. She heard British imperialism in the song. But for me, I am taken back to my mother’s lap when I hear the song, and she assures me that little bear and I are gonna be alright, no matter what.

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook

I Heard the Voice of Robert Plant Say, “Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down”

The other day, as I prepared for my 30-minute commute to my office, I let Spotify pick a playlist for me and off I went to work. You may remember in recent years, I commuted in an older car , a 2002 Mercury Sable with a few quirks that made life interesting. But now I have a 2016 Honda Accord with Bluetooth. It starts all of the time, doesn’t break down and require towing, and this means I have to look for other forms of excitement while commuting. This newer car also meant my music went from cassettes/CDs to Spotify Bluetooth in a remarkably short time, so I’m sticking my hand deep into the musical candy jar each day with Spotify (yes, I heard about it from my children). On this chilly April morning, a few songs into my Daily Mix 1 playlist, Robert Plant , the former lead singer of Led Zeppelin , came on singing the lyric, “Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . Satan, your kingdom must come down . . . I heard the voice of Jesus say, Satan, your kingdom must come down.” I had list