Skip to main content

My Prayer Life Is Like, "Whack" (-a-Mole)

 I’ve been a practicing Christian my entire adult life, and one would think that would result in a certain level of proficiency in certain practices such as what often occurs when one plays golf, tennis, or does various other activities on a regular basis. Prayer is not like this for me though. Prayer is like whack-a-mole. As soon as I knock down a mole that pops up--some sort of obstacle to my praying--another mole rises in its place. "Whack-a-mole" is exactly how I would describe my prayer life, a daily whacking away at things that prevent prayer.


But I am starting to think prayer is not something you master; it is not something you get good at and people think, “Wow, he’s really good at prayer.” I’m starting to think it is something else entirely.

I’ve whacked various moles of prayerlessness over the years with a variety of practices. Here are just a few:
  • Praying the Lord’s prayer
  • Praying the prayers of the apostle Paul
  • Praying the Psalms
  • Praying from the Book of Common Prayer
  • Praying from a paper list
  • Praying about things I read in the newspaper
  • Praying by using a list from a prayer app (currently Echo)
  • Praying while walking around the neighborhood
  • Praying at a local nature center
  • Praying as thinking, which I learned from the movie, The Tree of Life
  • Praying breath prayers that last no more than a few words or a sentence
  • Praying on a bike ride using a prayer app
I also have sometimes prayed sitting with a cup of coffee in my hand, kneeling, standing, or lying face down. None of the types of prayer above or any of the postures that I have used am I able to sustain very long. Prayer just “don’t come easy for me,” and I am not proud of this.

My latest prayer innovation is a prayer bike ride. Actually, I learned this was possible from a pastor in our town who used to ride his bike to different communities around the county and pray for the churches in the communities. So I have implemented this method and it is currently my go-to method for prayer, albeit I stay local by riding to the nearby county park. Biking prayer is healthy and I can do it safely, even though it is a form of multitasking, something I am otherwise not very good at. I can pray for an entire 45-minute bike ride and go through my entire list of people and things that I want to pray about. The only problem is that as soon as I started praying this way, which I can only do every other day due to the rigors of riding a bike 10 miles, I seem to be unable to get myself to pray any other way other than some little breath prayers to God here and there. I think another mole just popped up.




With all of the different ways I have attempted to pray over the years, you would think that I would be better at it. Or at least that I would have demonstrated more mastery of the practice. But I am starting to think prayer is not something you master; it is not something you get good at and people think, “Wow, he’s really good at prayer.” I’m starting to think it is something else entirely.

Years ago I went to a church where it was widely reported that the pastor prayed four hours a day. This has actually turned out to be one of the worst things I ever heard, not for him, but for me. I spent the next many years comparing my prayer life to this standard, and I always came away feeling like I was not spiritual, not committed; just a mediocre person living a lukewarm life who didn’t love God enough to pray more than a little bit on certain days.
Years ago I went to a church where it was widely reported that the pastor prayed four hours a day. This has actually turned out to be one of the worst things I ever heard . . .
 At this point I think I’m supposed to write how I conquered this challenge in my life and now I’m really good at prayer. But I’m not. Most days I think I’d rather do almost anything else than pray; that’s how unnatural it seems. For me, prayer really is like whack-a-mole, discovering new reasons not to pray and whacking them down day after day. Maybe prayer is like that for you too, like whack-a-mole.

Popular posts from this blog

My First Book Has Now Been Published

My first book,  Touching Other Worlds: A Collection of Poems , has now been published. This collection of poems was primarily inspired by my visits to Flat Rock Brook Nature Center in Englewood, New Jersey and a two-month special assignment for UPS commuting to New York City. (You can get a lot of writing done while riding a bus to and from New York City.) It is available online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Click here to print version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to Amazon Kindle version of Touching Other Worlds on Amazon Click here to see Touching Other Worlds at Barnes and Noble Click here to LIKE Touching Other Worlds on Facebook

Letting Go of Parcels

Today, I am feeling “off” in an “everything is fine but I still don’t feel right kind of way.” It went on for a few days until I finally became so desperate that I needed to go and sit on a boulder next to the constant roar of the swooshing brook at Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. I'm trying to let the sounds of the water drown out all of the oppressive thoughts in my head. Sometimes it takes a while. This is the view of where I station myself, and I think the video captures the sound. (I know some people use this kind of soundscape for sleeping, but I use it today to combat oppressive thoughts.) However, one unoppressive thought is conflicting with the rest in my head, a quote I used in the class I'm teaching this semester: “A man whose hands are full of parcels cannot receive a gift. " C. S. Lewis Lewis said this about spiritual dryness, and I guess this is a good description of where I am right now: spiritually dry. And my hands are full of parcels, which resonates wi

My Reflections on My UPS Career on Founders Day

We were given a choice whether or not those of us who were having a milestone service year wanted to speak on Founders Day in our department meeting. Since the one consistent feedback I have gotten during my entire 25-year career at UPS was that I don’t speak up enough in meetings, I thought I would make up for the whole thing here today. No one intends to have a long career at UPS. You come to work at UPS as a temporary thing while you are planning your life. Those plans do not include UPS. We come for the benefits, the tuition assistance, the non-standard hours that don’t interfere with classes or our other real jobs. Parents don’t envision their kids growing up and working for UPS. I think these are just the basic realities of life. I worked the majority of my career in Information Services Learning & Development or Corp HR Learning & Development. I would have never lasted 25 years had I been in Operations. I know exactly how long I would have lasted in Operations had I wo