I sometimes like to go for a lunchtime
walk at Ramapo
Valley County Reservation in Mahwah. It makes me think of what
Walden Pond must
have been like, except at Ramapo Reservation you have walking paths
worn from too many suburbanites walking their dogs and carrying the
poop around in bags. Some are even wearing flip-flops while they do this! This is why no one writes a book about a place
like Walden Pond or Ramapo Reservation anymore. You can't have your
mind ascend to literary heights when you are carrying, or surrounded
by people who are carrying, bags of dog doo-doo and wearing flip-flops. Besides that little
difference, Ramapo Reservation is probably quite similar to Walden
Pond. Well, then there's another thing I just thought of. Maybe the
signage that prohibits horses, guns, swimming, etc. is another
important difference. I think I'd like to take it back. Maybe it's
not like Walden Pond after all. Maybe the progress of civilization
from traversing amidst raw, pristine beauty to people walking around
listening to music on iPods or talking on cell phones in
semi-pristine beauty carrying dog poop in newspaper bags is not at
all like Thoreau's Walden. But then again, I just looked at
the web site about Walden Pond and it looks like they have a gift
shop there. So much for pristine beauty.
“Jewish law prefers that Jews pray communally rather than privately.” Joseph Telushkin, “Minyan,” in Jewish Literacy , 719. I’ve been thinking about this notion for a few days after I read it because I get the impression that most of the Christians I know pray individually and about their own self interests more than anything else. I know this is true of me. But Telushkin, reiterating the teachings of the rabbis in connecting Jewish prayer to the concept of minyan , where the minimum number of males required to conduct a worship service or say certain prayers is ten, says that public prayer prevents such personal expressions of self-interest. He says: " . . . the rabbis apparently felt that public prayers are more apt to be offered for that which benefits the entire community, whereas individuals often pray for that which benefits only themselves, even if it be at the expense of someone else" (719). In Evangelical or Pentecostal services that I've attended, at some...